Saturday, April 30, 2011

April's End

I've had a great writing week. I've found lots of time to work on my manuscript and the words are flowing. This doesn't mean all the words will make the cut, but it's fun when the plot starts to move and the characters take over. It's true that characters can take a story places you didn't imagine. I currently have a woman character in a very dangerous situation and I'm waiting to see if she lives or dies. The suspense is killing me . . . or will kill her. We both should know by the end of the weekend.

The next big event on my agenda is a joint book launch with Barb Fradkin and Jeff Ross on Sunday afternoon, May 15th from 4:00-6:00 at the Brew Pub on Bank. We met with the owner to finalize the room and to order appetizers. We have the entire basement area - a bar and cozy pub space with room for lots. Barb and I both have Rapid Reads books for adults and Jeff has released his first young adult book - all published by Orca. I hope all of you can come raise a glass.

Well, it's been quite a week: Will and Kate tied the British knot, tornadoes raged across the Southern states, floods threatened towns in Manitoba, the wind reached 95 clicks Thursday afternoon in Ottawa, and the federal election campaign entered its final throes. April has been a turbulant month on many fronts. I am hoping for a more peaceful May for those in difficult times and an end to this horrific weather in so many parts of the world.

The one good thing about this cold Ottawa spring is the bumper crop of tulips in my garden. The first one bloomed yesterday and its buddies won't be far behind. My neighbours are starting to sit on their front porches again and kids are playing on the street. These are the little things that make life good.

2 comments:

  1. Having characters come to life is my favorite part about writing… it’s magical.
    I’m glad everything is going good, best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much - when writing is going well, you lose track of time. It really can be magical.

    ReplyDelete