Saturday, August 28, 2010

Wakefest Equals Fun

Well, I'm a bit late this weekend with the blog, and somebody actually noticed! This feels like a weekly tv show, like Glee or House - people actually wait for it. I'm suitably humbled.

I just got back from Wakefield. What a gorgeous day to be in this small Quebec village - we had to postpone the workshop since the kids who were interested were mainly out of town for the weekend, but the readings carried on. There were five of us and a gathering of people outside in front of Solstice bookstore. The owner Roberta is just great - I haven't met any independent bookstore owners I haven't liked!

Phil Jenkins hosted and read from his poetry between authors. It was the first time I met Phil and hopefully not the last - great sense of humour and good writer. I particularly liked his poem about a girl he should have kissed in the parking lot . . . but didn't.

Nadine Dolittle read first. We met a few times before, and it was good to be reacquainted and to hear her read from her upcoming book. Tom Henighan was next, reading from his new adult murder mystery called Night Shade. I actually hitched a ride to Wakefield with Tom and his wife Marilyn and we had enjoyable chats each way. Tom was a prof at Carleton in the English department (now retired) and lives around the corner from us. I marked papers for his one of his mythology classes a number of years ago. There's that small world again.

I was third up and read two passages from In Winter's Grip and told a narcissist joke beforehand. If writing ever fails, I might try my hand at stand up comic. I'll keep working on my act. One joke might not cut it.

I also met the most lovely woman named Glennis, who is a retired volunteer at the Wakefield library - she even bought me Wakefield's fourth annual naked calendar, which has upstanding Wakefield citizens in artistic stages of undress. A great parting gift I'd say. Anyhow, photos of the day posted on my Facebook page (but none from the calendar - you'll have to imagine those).

I've carried on with my writing projects this week and am happy with my Orca story. It was so much fun to write. I also will be blogging for Mystery Maven Canada on Sept. 7th. I'll be sure to post on Facebook and Twitter. I actually stick to one topic :-)

Ted is working hard on the front deck - I'll post a photo tomorrow as I want to give him a chance to finish the day's work. Keep an eye out for the reveal. He still will have the fiddly bits to do, but the progress this week is stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment