Saturday, October 20, 2018

Giving 'Er

Such a busy week working at my desk. You know when you wake up in the middle of the night because you have all these things to do and know you should already be working on them? Well, that happened Sunday so I knew I had to get myself in gear.

Dundurn marketing team kept sending me more tasks to do over the week, all needed urgently. The biggy was a complete plot outline of Turning Secrets. Luckily, I had started a chapter synopsis, but it was far from complete or usable for the purposes of the marketing folks so I spent two days reworking it. They also wanted advance materials for the book out two years from now, including the cover blurb ... and I got that finished in time for a request for a cover letter to go out with the ARCs for Turning Secrets. I finished that yesterday and actually managed to get back writing on the latest manuscript. I also received the catalogue with Turning Secrets listed so onwards and upwards.

I had considered going to Left Coast Crime in Vancouver in the spring and had all but decided not to go. But a few pushes from a few people and I changed my mind and registered. I've also found a roommate not only to share the cost of lodging. but also to hang with, so I'm thinking this could be a great time. I previously attended the LCC in Monterey and Phoenix and really liked the feel of the conference, which brings together crime fiction authors, people in the industry, and readers. So I checked that bit of business off my to-do list.

Thursday afternoon, I met a librarian Jessica at the Emerald Branch and we went to another location to meet with a group of new immigrant women. I quickly realized that the talk and readings I'd planned were not going to work as most of the women did not speak much English and a translator was repeating what I said in Arabic.  I improvised and enjoyed giving them information about my Anna Sweet novellas (with a very short reading, first in English and then in Arabic) and sharing coffee and a snack with them after our presentations. I return next Thursday to meet another group of women - such a welcoming and lovely community.

And in addition to signing at Coles Carlingwood on Saturday, November 10, I'll be taking part in a crime writers' weekend at Chapters Barrhaven on Saturday, November 24. I'll be there between 10 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. with fellow authors Jim Napier (10-noon) and Barbara Fradkin (noon to one) (although they are yet to be confirmed). So two chances to come out and chat and perhaps buy some Christmas gifts!

I appear to have a quieter week ahead and plan to make inroads with my manuscript. Wish me luck:-)
I hope you're also having a productive autumn and are getting ready to snuggle in for the winter on our doorsteps.


No comments:

Post a Comment