Saturday, October 13, 2018

Autumn Celebrations

I spent a lovely Friday evening at Books on Beechwood, one of Ottawa's treasures for book lovers, and a great place to kick start Christmas shopping. The bookshop hosted three crime fiction authors - Iona Wishaw, Barbara Fradkin and me with Linda Wiken making introductions. We each chatted for a few minutes about our series and gave brief readings, but the bulk of our time was spent speaking with readers around a table laden with finger food and glasses of wine.

Iona, Linda, Barbara and me

Iona hails from British Columbia and is making stops in Montreal, Ottawa and Southwestern Ontario to promote her latest book. She was a school principal before retirement, and tells interesting stories with a series set after the Second World War that I'm looking forward to delving into. The lead character is Lane Winslow, an ex-intelligence officer who leaves London to settle in a secluded hamlet in the mountains.  I bought A Killer in King's Cove, the first in the series, which Iona recommends for those starting her series.

Iona with a crime fiction fan

Barb Fradkin has a new book out too this week - Prisoners of Hope, which is the third in her Amanda Doucette series from Dundurn. I'm waiting to buy my copy at her launch this Tuesday night at the Clocktower Pub on Richmond Road. She'll be launching her book alongside Vicki Delaney who is also releasing a new mystery. Everyone is welcome to stop by to raise a glass and hear about their books.

On my agenda this week besides more writing and a visit to the Emerald Branch of the Ottawa Public Library to speak to a group of new immigrant women about my Anna Sweet novellas for adult literacy. I'm excited to meet them! I also have some work to do for Dundurn to pave the way for my last Stonechild book, not due out until 2020 ... one has to be organized in this business :-)

Also, a note that I'll be signing at Coles Carlingwood on Saturday, November 10 from 11:00 to 1:00 if you're missing any of the Stonechild series or want signed copies for Christmas gifts.

So Ted and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary last weekend in Stowe Vermont, travelling south of the border with two other couples, our neighbors, who coincidentally celebrate their anniversaries the same weekend. We booked a house outside the town and enjoyed three days hiking around the town and settling in each evening around the fireplace. The autumn leaves were at their glorious peak and it was an idyllic break from 'real' life.

 Ted and I on the gondola - a misty morning on top of the mountain



Hiking up the mountain






No comments:

Post a Comment