Saturday, March 26, 2016

Spring Hoppiness

Spring started with a snowstorm to keep the sprouting tulips and daffodils from getting too comfortable. I look out at the back deck and dream about those hot summer days outside reading. Not much longer....

I'm currently reading an Ann Cleeves novel Silent Voices, which is in her Vera Stanhope series. I received this book in a gift bag at Left Coast Crime in Phoenix, but I've bought several of Ann's books and was already a fan. Check her out if you haven't already. BBC has made both her Stanhope and Jimmy Perez police procedurals into television shows, which I am hoping will be shown in Canada sometime soon.

And so, only two more days in my government job and then I will become a full-time writer! I've been completing some tasks as I get myself organized to focus on my latest manuscript, including writing a guest blog post and working on my taxes. This involves finding and recording all of my receipts for book-related costs, and I hope to have the package to my accountant on Tuesday. I still have a ways to go, but am slowly getting there.


I will be updating my website this week too. For some reason, my password stopped working and it took me a lot of back and forth with my web provider to get it sorted. I've continued to send out book launch invitations - I always start out sending many and then lose momentum so if you haven't received one, know that you are welcome to come by and raise a glass. Books on Beechwood will be on site with copies for purchase. This takes place next Sunday, April 3 from 2:00 to 4:00 at Whispers pub on Richmond Road in Westboro.

The next event after the launch is the Ottawa International Book Fest on Sunday, April 17 at 8:30 p.m. at Christ Church Cathedral downtown. The panel is called Scene of the Crime and I'll be appearing alongside Joy Fielding, Linwood Barclay and John Lawton. You can purchase tickets ahead of the event through the website and also find out more about these terrific authors. Very exciting!

So today, I'm about to head out and pick up my Easter ham and other food stuffs for preparing Sunday dinner. Ted will be barbecuing the ham in our big green egg - hopefully the snow and ice will have disappeared with the promised rising temperatures. I make an orange bourbon marinade that's not too shabby. I hope you are enjoying this long weekend too with good food, family and friends.

Happy Easter, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment