Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Week in the Writing Life

Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes this past week - both in event planning and in my old noggin.

I've been tinkering with the opening chapter for the fourth in the Stonechild and Rouleau series and have something I'm happy with. However, the scenario has me pondering motives and clues and who will be in the second scene. Isn't it Winnie the Pooh who says, "Think, think, think."? Well, I've been doing lots of that.as I organize the plot and characters in my head. Now it's time to get the show on the road and get down to some writing.

Thinking might be the harder of the two...



The growing collection :-)

I attended the first Capital Crime Writers' meeting on Wednesday evening and what an interesting talk on guns and street gangs in Ottawa by A/Sergeant Ken Bryden. Interesting and unsettling -- I was nervous to go into the parking garage to find my car afterwards. I'm not sure when or how, but I'm certain that the information I gleaned from his talk will end up in a future book. I've gotten lots of fodder over the years from the excellent guest speakers at CCW meetings. In fact, In Winter's Grip was inspired by a Carleton University psychologist who spoke about psychopaths and narcissists at a meeting several years ago. So, inspiration can come from any quarter.

The signed contract for the third Stonechild and Rouleau came in the mail this week. I'm told that the publisher wants the editing to start soon. I haven't got a publication date but will be sent the time table shortly I expect. Butterfly Kills, the second Stonechild and Rouleau, will be released January 31, 2015, and I now have an Ottawa launch date to share. I've booked Whispers Pub for Sunday, February 8 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. A bit early to start promoting, but please mark your calendars - promises to be a party!

I'm also in contact with the Moose Jaw Literacy Network as we organize a reading in February.

Yes, Moose Jaw in February.

I'll conclude with a book recommendation. I've been reading Jakob Melander's Copenhagen police procedural The House that Jack Built. Excellent writing and a gripping storyline. I'm half way through and keen to keep reading. I saw Jakob read from his book at the Ottawa Public Library earlier in the year and bought the book - making for a good fall read.

No comments:

Post a Comment