Saturday, April 17, 2010

I awoke to rain pattering on the skylight and birds singing in the pine tree outside our bedroom window. Spring has truly arrived.

It's been a busy week on a few fronts. Writing was going well early on as I was closing in on 35,000 words, but then, life started happening. I curled three games so far this week and have one more tonight. My ladies's team won a B side trophy and tonight, my mixed team goes for the B side championship. That will wrap up curling for the season - I'm ready for a break!

I've been looking into writers' conferences and am considering ones in Indiana, Chicago and Vancouver next year. This May, I'll be going to Bloody Words in Toronto. These conferences are good ways to introduce fans to your work and to make connections in the industry. They can also be a lot of fun since each time you go, you make more friends. I'll blog more about the Toronto conference to give you the flavour of what goes on.

Two events coming up this week. Thursday is an evening at the Ottawa Public Library to announce the Arthur Ellis shortlist. These are the national crime writing awards and it is quite prestigious even to be nominated. I'll be reading from In Winter's Grip for the first time and will be interviewed along with three other authors by Ottawa Citizen journalist and author Kate Jaimet. Then, Saturday is Write Night at the GCTC where I'll give some opening remarks before the play by Arthur Milner. This is an event organized by Capital Crime Writers and includes a wine and cheese beforehand.

Speaking of Capital Crime Writers, the Wednesday meeting's guest speaker was Bill Bartlett, senior lawyer at Department of Justice (my workplace!) and he spoke about gangs in Canada. Most interesting and lots of writing ideas there. I've been asked to write up a synopsis of his talk for the Purloined Newsletter so hope to get to that today.

On an uplifting note, I had a bone density test and saw my doctor yesterday. He tells me I have the bones of a woman in her twenties. I told my husband he's got a young wife and didn't know it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment