Saturday, August 26, 2017

One Step Ahead

This writing week can be summed up in a word: editing.

I received Shannon's edits for the Bleeding Darkness manuscript to look over on Tuesday end of day with a deadline of Thursday afternoon. Friday morning at the latest with the manuscript due to Dundurn by end of day Friday. I knew that the earlier I got my review done, the more time Shannon would have to go over my suggestions and one last read through. I was rolling along pretty well but Thursday morning, I found a time problem with one of the chapters, which meant moving a chunk of writing to a later chapter, renumbering chapters and rewriting various sections to match up.

Arggg.



I worked from early morning through lunch and got the manuscript back to Shannon early afternoon, allowing her extra time since I'd made a major change to the draft. I didn't get any emails from her on Friday so I think made the final deadline. Then I went for an hour walk to clear my head :-)

Now, I'm back going through my latest manuscript, book six in the series, making notes and rewriting little pieces of the story to make it align before I tackle the last 20,000 words. Another couple of months, I think, to finish this one up.

I've been approached to moderate an author chat at the Ottawa International Writers Festival in Ottawa on October 10. I'm not sure that the two guest authors have been announced yet so I won't say who they are, but keep your eyes open. This should be a great evening. I've begun preparing already and will be putting in more time over the upcoming weeks. Very exciting fall ahead!

It's beginning to feel a bit like autumn these days, especially as the sun goes down. Good sleeping weather they say. My daughter Lisa is curling tonight in Fredericton in a new format bonspiel called the Everest Challenge and you can find the game on TSN beginning at 6:30 EST. My other daughter Julia begins her competitive curling season this Friday in Oakville and I'll follow her games online. Where oh where did the summer go? I'll be on two club teams this year and a third after Christmas to replace someone going south. You can guess what we talk about around the Sunday dinner table.

But it's a sunny and warm morning and I'll put thoughts of winter out of my head. Today will be a good day to work in the garden and sit outside to read a book (when I'm not watching curling).  These are the kind of days that you have to store up like a squirrel stores nuts for the long dark days ahead. (I know, can I get any cheerier?)

Enjoy the last Saturday in August everyone :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment