Saturday, April 25, 2015

Cold Mourning Doing Me Proud

I'm extremely excited to have Cold Mourning shortlisted for Crime Writers of Canada's Arthur Ellis award for best crime novel in 2014. The shortlists for various categories was read out at events across Canada on Thursday evening. I took part in one at Chapters Rideau organized by Linda Wiken with fellow authors Mary Jane Maffini, Vicki Delany, R.J. Harlick, Barbara Fradkin and Mike Martin. We interviewed each other and did short readings in an area set up on the main floor toward the back of the store - we had a full house, showing the solid readership and support for crime-writing in Ottawa.
You can read the complete list of nominees in all the categories at Quill & Quire with links to their reviews on some of the books. Ted and I are going to go to Toronto for the gala evening on May 28 where my first publisher Sylvia McConnell will be honoured with a special award. The best part of being shortlisted is the validation that people enjoy my books and hopefully more people will hear about them. Here are a few photos our shortlist evening.

Linda Wiken moderated the evening.
Barbara Fradkin and Vicki Delany
Me interviewing Mike Martin
R.J. Harlick and Mary Jane Maffini
With Barbara Fradkin - we are both shortlisted for crime novel of the year!
 
I'm getting ready to head to Malice Domestic on Wednesday in Bethesda, Maryland (outside Washington) - road trip with good buddies Mary Jane Maffini, Linda Wiken and Vicki Delany. I'm on a police procedural panel next Sunday morning and we're also visiting a bookstore on the way home for an event. I'm going to see about blogging and posting some photos as we go so check in next week and find out what I'm up to.
 
I was in Carp on Wednesday evening along with Ottawa YA author Mike Stewart for a book drive event organized by a grade 10 student Addy. She collected books for Africa and people from the community donated 4000 books. Addy had organized other students to sing throughout the evening - so much talent and such great kids.
 
And my writing is going well. I met my goal this month (50,000 words) and will exceed this by a few thousand by the end of this weekend. I'll bring my laptop on the road trip and hope to get some free time to type away.
 
Lots going on this month and lots to celebrate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment