Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Little Nostalgia

I'm late blogging this weekend for a couple of reasons. I've been spending all my free time at the curling club in an annual bonspiel, which ended last night with a banquet. We came runner up in one of the events so lots of rocks thrown and lots of sweeping.

In my free moments, I've been editing Second Chances - well, reviewing the edits in track changes from Allister, my Dundurn editor. Nothing too major, but this is my last chance to make changes to the text. The adjective that comes to mind is 'pain-staking'. I've made it once through and now have to give it another complete read to look for inconsistencies although Allister has done a good job pointing out the major ones. I also have to confirm dates of the music I mention in the story, which is set in 1971 - the golden age of peace, love and rock 'n roll. What an era in which to cut your musical taste buds. The explosion of innovative music and bands has never been matched, in my humble opinion.

I remember my first 45 - it was "Lady Willpower" by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. I had a crush on Mark Lindsey (do you remember the name of his band?) and even wrote a fan letter - I must have been about 12 years old. If you're out there, Mark, I'm still waiting for your reply. I'm sure you've got some time to answer now. It was the age of live bands at high school dances, records and stereos. Sometimes, I think technology hasn't really improved the experience.

So, Christmas is a month away. I ordered the turkey today and am picking away at the gift-shopping. The calendar is starting to fill up at an alarming rate but the week ahead will be dedicated to editing in between work and more curling games. If things don't lighten up soon, I'm going to have to get a bigger plate.

And the November rain and double digit temperatures are taking us into December - I can't remember ever going this long in the season without the need to wear my winter boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment