Saturday, October 29, 2011

Let's Rumba


A few snapshots by Darlene Cole from 'A Day to Kill' last Saturday. Above, I am standing with Nadine Doolittle, my sparring mate in the Debaters panel and a fine writer who makes her home in Wakefield, Quebec. There are a couple more pics at the end of this post.

This week, I'm thinking about how important it is to keep on taking chances. Ted and I went to watch Councillor Katherine Hobbs dance for Easter Seals in a new event called 'Dancing with the Stars'. Katherine accepted this challenge to help raise money for these kids even though she hadn't any training and she was going to be up against the likes of two-time gold medal Olympian Carolyn Waldo and Olympian skater Elizabeth Manley. It meant hours of practice and conquering the nerves to dance in front of a full ballroom at the Delta last evening - and she did great. In fact, all of the dancers were more than respectable with Elizabeth Manley taking top prize.

It can be hard to get out of one's comfort zone and some people have an easier time of it than others, there's no doubt. Yet courage isn't always about the big things - sometimes it can be taking on a challenge that most everyone else would take a pass on and facing a roomful of people when your knees are knocking. So my hat is off today for Katherine and all the other Dancing Stars and everyone who risks failure to try something new.

Well, feels like I have a thousand things to do this weekend and most of the tasks involve paperwork. As if I don't get enough of it in my day job. I heard my first Christmas carol on the radio two days ago and it made my stomach clench at the thought of all the work lying ahead to get ready. Maybe it's time to run off to Vegas again.

Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment