Saturday, September 18, 2010

September Saturday Morning

Another weekend. "Fall is in the air," I said to Ted last night as we left Whispers pub. Every Friday night for the entire summer, we've made Friday night date night. We've taken to capping off the evening by dropping in on Whispers to have a chat with our daughter Julia, who waitresses there.

"Just what I was saying this afternoon," replied Ted. "Summer is pretty much over."

The circle of the seasons.
Great minds that think alike :-)

I love autumn. Planning Thanksgiving dinner for our family and friends - fresh turkey and homemade apple and pumpkin pies - pulling out the warmer clothes, beginning the curling season, watching season openers on tv, stretching out with a good book next to the fireplace . . . All satisfying. All good.

This fall is going to be particularly busy. Mary Jane Maffini and I are planning our trip to Muncie at the end of October with visits to a bookstore and library for readings along the way. I'm still waiting for the final word on when In Winter's Grip will be released, but it went to the printer's a few weeks ago and the target is the beginning of October. I'm also planning a joint book launch with Barbara Fradkin on November 16th. We were thrown a bit with word of the closing of Shirley Leishman bookstore, but we have time to line up a new bookseller.

Such a loss to have Leishman's close. I remember speaking with co-owner Diane Walker about my first manuscript, Running Scared, before I'd sent it off to any publishers. I briefly told her the premise and asked her if she knew of any publishers I should approach. At the end of our chat, Diane said, "I'd love to do your launch when you find a publisher." Since then, Diane has been the seller at all four launches and hosted signings in their store. She's become a friend. I mourn the loss of her store because I know that Diane and Sally are passionate about books and the community and the business they have built over so many years. Along with the closing of Prime Crime earlier this year, they will be sadly missed.

I received the final contract from Orca for my Rapid Reads book http://orcabook.com/ravenreads/ . I've sent in the manuscript and am awaiting feedback. I've got to say though, I'm happy with the story. A little murder mystery, colourful characters, humour and pathos - all in under 20,000 words.

So, this morning, Ted has ripped apart the roof to replace the skylight above the back entranceway. It's been leaking like a Swiss cheese all summer and driving him to distraction. Neighbours are already stepping outside to have a look. Along with the truck outside my office window, pumping insulation into my neighbour's newly renovated house and the sewer work going on down the street, it promises to be a lively and noisy Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to our trip this fall, Brenda!
    BTW, have you found out WHY your skylight is making those banging noises? What? I can hear you ...

    MJ

    Charlotte Adams mysteries

    ReplyDelete