Saturday, February 7, 2015

Time to Party

A few weeks ago, I met Kitchissippi Times reporter Judith van Berkom upstairs at Thyme and Again on Wellington Street. We were both fighting colds, so over cups of hot tea, we talked about my writing and books. We discovered that we live streets away from each other and that she is friends with my next door neighbours. We were joined by Westboro phototgrapher Kate Settle who also put me at ease very quickly as she clicked away taking various shots. The hour flew by and  I enjoyed meeting these two lovely women. You can pick up a copy of the paper this week at some of the newsstands along Richmond/Wellington or read the article online. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the story made the cover page:-)


So, Butterfly Kills launches tomorrow! I hope you can drop by to raise a glass at Whispers pub on Richmond Road between 2:00 and 4:00 pm. Books on Beechwood will be attending with copies for sale and there will be finger foods for munching. Whispers is clearing out the tables and chairs in the fireplace room for easier mingling so this will be a casual kind of afternoon. You'll rub shoulders with some other local mystery authors and lots of great friends and neighbours.

Since this book is set in Kingston, the Whig Standard is reviewing the book and this review plus a bit of an interview should be out any day. I've also been contacted by Queen's University alumni and spent last evening answering some questions by e-mail for the alumni magazine. They've asked if I have any photos from my time at Queen's so I'll have to go dig up the old photograph album. I'm not sure any of the photos will work - this was long before the digital camera, I'm afraid.

My American publicist has also been busy and I have another blog entry to write. She also donated a copy of Butterfly Kills for a draw at the blog Lori's Reading Corner - you can enter by clicking on this link.

And through all this busy time, I'm managing to plug away on my latest manuscript, zeroing in on 30,000 words. I'm still at that uncertain time in the manuscript, not quite certain how the pieces are fitting together. The key is to keep my mind open and let the ideas come. Some will work and others will lead me to think of the murder puzzle in a new way. I'll spend most of today writing since the launch is tomorrow, my daughter Julia has a birthday on Tuesday (Happy Birthday ma belle fille), and we're also getting ready to travel to Moose Jaw in a week's time to watch our other daughter Lisa curl in the Scotties.


Could life get any more exciting?


No comments:

Post a Comment