Saturday, April 12, 2014

Write On

The Brittons signing was successful I'd say - a few friends who weren't able to come to the launch dropped in for a copy of Cold Mourning and several store customers also bought copies. It's a lovely atmosphere in the store with Linda Wiken as company - she is in charge of the Mystery Bookshelf - and Ted Britton, who is owner and just an all around nice guy. Brittons has every magazine and newspaper you can imagine as well as a good selection of mystery novels so a good place to spend time browsing.

 



Another good review out yesterday on the Mystery Maven Canada blog. Most heartening.

I met up with C.B. Forrest on Wednesday evening at a Capital Crime Writers meeting and we caught up on our writing projects. Chris has a new website where you can find out about his books, two of which were shortlisted for Arthur Ellis awards. We'll be appearing at Chapters Rideau the evening of Thursday, May 10 (7:30-9:00 p.m.) along with Mary Jane Maffini, Barbara Fradkin, Michael McCann and R.J. Harlick to talk about mystery writing in Canada and to announce this year's Arthur Ellis shortlist for various categories. Everyone is welcome and it would be great to see you.

I'm currently rereading John Steinbeck's Cannery Row after visiting Monterey California where Steinbeck lived and wrote. I remember (vaguely) reading this book in high school and being mightily impressed. As I read the opening chapters, I'm reminded that Steinbeck's grace with words is a thing of beauty. The plot is also coming back to me. Today, I see an article in the Globe and Mail about another of Steinbeck's classics The Grapes of Wrath. Not sure that I ever read it, but now have this book on my reading list.



Back to the writing this weekend. I'm plugging along and now at 56,000 words. Time soon to start bringing all the pieces together. This is the most exciting but also the most nail-biting part of the process. It's what keeps me up in the middle of the night :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment