Saturday, July 22, 2017

July News

A glorious day today! Not only is it promising to be sunny and hot, but my good friend Katherine Hobbs is getting married this afternoon :-) Congratulations Kath and Ric!!



And on the book circuit, next Saturday, July 29, I will be at Chapters Rideau from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. as part of the store's 150th Canada birthday celebration of Ottawa authors. Come by if you get the chance and say hello. This will be my last store signing of the summer.

The Kitchissippi Times latest edition is out with various residents giving their summer reading picks ... including mine! They also gave a bit of my writing bio, which is great for getting the word about about my work.

One last bit of writing news. I've been assigned a panel at Bouchercon in Toronto. The date is Saturday, October 14 and the time slot is 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. The topic is "Blue Detectives" or police procedurals. The other panel authors haven't been shared yet but I know there are some fine authors writing in this genre so I'm excited to see who else will be sharing the stage. If you go to the link and click on attendees, you'll see how big this conference is. There's still time to sign up, but the main hotel is likely full.

I've been spending my mornings this week researching and writing the main idea paragraphs for the adult literacy workbooks. In addition to Ernest Shackelton, the topics were Helen Kalvak (prolific Inuit graphic artist who began painting in her early 60s), Florence Nightingale, and Harvey Milk. Milk was the first openly gay politician elected in San Francisco in 1977. After eleven months in office, he and the mayor were both shot and killed by a city supervisor who'd resigned and then tried unsuccessfully to get his job back. Some interesting footage on Youtube.

Work on my latest manuscript is coming along too. I've been writing in the afternoons, enjoying the great weather this week by taking my laptop outside. Summer feels like it has finally arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment