Saturday, December 5, 2015

Finding the Spirit

Christmas season is here and I have to say that I enjoy the lead up to December 25th as much or more so than the actual holiday. I've got my cards in the mail and the turkey ordered, most of my gifts bought or in my sights and I'm working on a menu. And the parties and get togethers start tonight. Not even the five degree temperature and absence of snow have put a damper on this winter joie de vivre. To really put me in the mood, I walked to the Chateau Laurier on my lunch hour to wander around their lobby - they have a display of about ten decorated trees by different organizations. Tea in the restaurant would make a nice outing for those who have the time to linger.

Last week's taping at Cable 22 was great fun. The show will run in January and is entitled Ellie's Read on Ottawa. Barb Fradkin, Mike Martin and I will be Ellie's guests on her inaugural show, so that is pretty special. We sat at a round table with cameras pointed at each of us during the filming. It was easy to forget they were there if you avoided looking at them, which I did for the most part. We had a good discussion about the mystery genre and I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

 In the green room before the taping with host Ellie Potvin.

I wish that I could say I've been writing steadily, although I managed a thousand words over the week. I spent last evening working out the plot in my head and I'm not sure I've got it down yet. I'm hopeful that the plot will work itself out once I start writing.

I live in hope.

This Wednesday evening is Capital Crime Writers Christmas dinner with Barbara Fradkin as the guest speaker. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and an evening discussing crime writing. I find that meeting up with other authors is invigorating and motivates me to keep writing. This is a busy time of year, but great fun if you can relax and take everything in stride. It's a time to get in some socializing before we settle into the heart of winter.

Enjoy the week, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment