Saturday, December 19, 2015

Best of the Season

Surprisingly, we got a coating of snow overnight--the first real snow of the year in Ottawa. A few years ago, it snowed on Hallowe'en and didn't disappear until April. Now, that felt like a long winter.

I love these weeks leading up to Christmas, snow or no snow. I notice that a lot of people in my neighborhood have put up outdoor lights this year, like bits of hope and, warmth in the darkness, or that's how it feels to me. The lights, candles and fire in the fireplace are my favorite part of the holidays. Well these and all the get-togethers with family and friends with lots of homemade meals and wine. This year, both my daughters will be home along with Lisa's husband Robin and Julia's dog George. The tree goes up today and I've already started baking. These are the times to cherish.

Writing is coming along great guns. I'm rounding into the climax of the novella, and after some 'what the heck was I thinking', the plot bits appear to be coming together. I'm still trying to make the big scene appear plausible and think I've come up with a scenario that works. I should have it written by next weekend if time allows. My problem is that I have to wrap it up soon or I'll go over my word count. My publisher wants these books to be around 12,000 words and I tend to hit closer to 16,000. I'm currently near 11,000 words so cutting it close :-)

I had a nice surprise this week. I follow Ottawa Magazine, which updates stories daily on its website and is a great place to find out what's going on in the city. They were running an advent calendar giveaway with a new prize every day leading up to Christmas. I entered for some of the days with no expectations and ended up winning a beautiful necklace from Davidson's Jewellers-- the day thirteen prize. This has to be the nicest thing I have ever won!

Well, I know you are probably very busy today and won't keep you much longer except to wish you a wonderful holiday season, celebrated in a way that brings you peace and joy. May the magic of the season find you and the glow of all the Christmas lights embrace and delight you.




George sends a merry woof.


2 comments:

  1. Wishing you, Ted and the family all the best of the Christmas season and may be share many more happy adventures in the year ahead! xo
    Kathy & Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had quite an adventure with you both in 2015! Merry Christmas and much happiness in 2016 - may the adventures continue :-)

      Delete