Sunday, December 26, 2010

So this is Christmas

Boxing Day 2010.

Christmas to me is those unexpected moments that lighten your heart or make you realize how fortunate you are to have special people in your life. It can be my daughters sleeping over Christmas Eve; opening Christmas stockings on our bed with the kids like we have every year since they were born; finding time for a hot bath and a read before preparing the Christmas dinner; sharing a meal with friends and family long into the night.

Every Christmas, I wait for those few magical moments. This year, I had several, perhaps because I let the holiday flow as it would without worrying about outcomes. It began at work Thursday morning where I thanked the cleaning woman as I do each time, for collecting my garbage. I told her that I would not be in Christmas Eve and wished her a good holiday. She spontaneously flung her arms around me in a hug and wished me a Merry Christmas. It was an unexpected gesture that had me smiling all day.

I send a Christmas card to my all-time favourite English prof from Lakehead U. every year and have done for over 35 years. This year, I did not receive a card back. I worried that he might be too ill to write and fussed about it to Ted a few times over the last week. Christmas Eve morning, his card arrived to my delight. Also in the mail that morning was the Orca spring catalogue with The Second Wife displayed in three places. Another little gift for the holiday.

This Christmas we spent much of our waking hours talking, laughing and reminiscing. A steady stream of old records on the player, too much food and wine and late nights - it has been a mid-winter break from routine and commitments. Ted and I have another luncheon today with old friends and then I will have two days to write and to finish reading C.B. Forrest's second mystery Slow Recoil. Chris is a falulous writer and I'm happy to report that we will be touring together with our new books in the new year.

I hope that you are also taking the time to let the season flow around you and to find those magical moments that warm your heart.

Happiest of holidays to you and all those you hold dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment