Saturday, June 23, 2018

Into the Rhythm

This was a week to decompress. After a month of events and media, I was happy to get back into the rhythm of my normal life.

This is a decompressed me - very easy to achieve :-)

I often get asked when I write and for how long. Many writers work best in the morning but I'm finding that I use the mornings to get my chores and running around done and start writing around eleven. I break for lunch and then write most of the afternoon, sometimes after supper if I'm on a roll. I aim for minimum 500 words a day and sometimes manage closer to 1000.

Often, I've got other work going on in addition to the writing. For example, this week Dundurn sent along a request for a page of information to prepare for the release of my next book entitled Turning Secrets, which is the sixth Stonechild and Rouleau mystery. It has a May 2019 publication date so you can see we prepare well ahead. As part of this info, I have to write a book cover synopsis so this is going to take some thought and time. I worked an hour yesterday morning on the material and expect I'll be working at it off and on all next week. I also did some to-ing and fro-ing this week with Diane Walker and Amanda Malone to set up a signing at their Chapters store in Gloucester. We've chosen Sunday, August 19 so I'll be give you the details later in the summer.

Bleeding Darkness is getting some terrific reviews from readers on Goodreads as well as from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly. I'm mighty pleased that the series is striking a note with readers and thank everyone who took the time to post a review or to send a note to me privately with your thoughts.

Last night, I went to see the iconic Boz Scaggs at Jazz Fest and what a great show. I can't tell you how many times I played Silk Degrees on the turntable over the years and it was very cool to hear Boz sing several of the songs live. Such a smooth, one-of-a-kind voice with songs that truly hold up.

Also did some reading this week. I finished Truth by Peter Temple. He's an award-winning Australian writer and has a unique style that I quite admire. I'd previously read The Broken Shore, which won the 2007 Duncan Lawrie Dagger Award and which I was blown away by. I'm now rereading a Denise Mina book called Still Midnight. A different style but another marvellous crime writer. I highly recommend her work, especially the Paddy Meehan books. Some summer reading to put on your list!

So, we've turned the corner into summer and the first few days have been warm and sunny. Today promises to be rainy but the gardens will welcome a drink. I'm about to put on another pot of coffee as I start a slow easing into the day. I hope you also have a relaxing weekend with a good book on the go and time to savour the longest days of the year. This is a pic of my writing and reading nook - a great spot to while away the hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment