Saturday, April 14, 2018

Behind the Scenes

It's been a week of lining up the ducks.

As those of you who follow my blog know, Bleeding Darkness is coming out early next month so lots is going on behind the scenes. I've begun sending out the Ottawa launch invitation - takes place Sunday, June 3 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Cross on Elgin. All welcome. I've also lined up a signing with Coles Carlingwood on Saturday, June 9 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.  The bookmarks are being printed, the book is also at the printers as I type, the champagne is chilling ...

My publicist Michelle has lined up some media around the time of the launch. So far guest on a morning show in Kingston and a radio interview in Ottawa. The details are still in the works but I'll let you know logistics once confirmed. I've also been invited to speak to an organization in the Glebe around the time of the book release and am told there are usually 50-70 in attendance.

In the meantime, work is beginning on the next in the Stonechild series Turning Secrets. My editor Shannon Whibbs has been in touch and she'll have her first edits to me at the end of April. I'll have the first week or so of May to go through her edits and make more of my own. I also received a form yesterday to give my cover input. It's still exciting to see the cover for the first time. I don't imagine this ever gets old.

This upcoming week, I'll be taking part in two events. Monday, Barb Fradkin, Mary Jane Muffin, Linda Wiken and I will make the trek out to Orleans to present our books, mingle and eat supper with an organization of about thirty people so I'm looking forward to an enjoyable time. Wednesday is the Arthur Ellis awards shortlist event at Chapters Rideau from 7-9 p.m. Several Ottawa crime writers will speak about their books - we each have two minutes and another two minutes if we choose to read. I'm thinking I'll read the first page of Bleeding Darkness but I'll wait to see about the pace of the event before deciding. I'm the last author listed so if it's getting late, I'll make my talk even shorter and sweeter :-) All are welcome to this one as well.

The writing on the latest Stonechild manuscript progressed nicely this week as I approach 19000 words. I'm thinking if I keep a pace of a minimum of 10000 words a month, I'll make the January deadline, allowing for time to edit and rewrite before submission. I've convinced myself that I'm on schedule.

The weather has been crap again this week with a winter storm predicted for tonight and tomorrow. I'm starting to look brilliant instead of lazy for not getting the winter tires changed. At least the weather keeps me indoors writing although I wouldn't mind taking my laptop into the backyard with a glass of lemonade, sunglasses and sunscreen. No need to keep hanging around Winter on my account...

No comments:

Post a Comment