Saturday, June 17, 2017

A Week in June

Good Saturday morning. These weeks seem to zip by as we cross over the half-way mark in June. I've had a quiet week, writing a bit and looking after Lisa's dog Trooper after his surgery last week. He's still very active and we've been on many a short walk around the neighborhood.


I went to the Louise Penny event last evening. Louise was interviewed by Patricia Filteau at a church in Ottawa South as part of the Ottawa International Writers Festival. It was a sold out affair with the pews filled to overflowing. The Capital Crime Writers' Audrey Jessup short story contest winners were given out before Louise was interviewed, and she graciously announced and handed out the prizes. Order of finish from first to third is:  Theresa Wallace, Pam Isfeld, and Wynn Quon. As one of the judges for the contest, I was provided a front row seat :-)

Theresa, Wynn and Pam waiting for the award presentation. A snippet of the crowd behind!

Patricia asked Louise Penny many thoughtful questions about her book A Great Reckoning and Louise also spoke about writing being her solace through difficult years, the characters in her series now friends whose world (Three Pines) she loves to spend time visiting. Louise's easy laugh and wit made for a delightful evening.


So this week, I have to firm up my main idea paragraphs on the environment section for the adult literacy workbooks and submit them to Grass Roots Press. That leaves the health and people topics to go. I'll also hit the half-way point on the latest Stonechild and Rouleau manuscript. At this rate, I should have a few months holiday at the end of the year - maybe, I'll get some closets and cupboards cleaned out as I keep promising myself. I'm comforted to read that creative people are messy in general. I imagine my brain looks a lot like my desk.

I also plan to go to the Capital Crime Writers closing evening at a pub in the Byward Market on Wednesday. Meetings start up again in the fall and new members are welcome, be you a writer or reader. They get in some terrific guest speakers to talk about every facet affecting crime fiction, from psychologist to detectives to private investigators. I've learned a lot of valuable information over the years.

I've been taking a weekly morning bike ride with friend and neighbor Katherine Hobbs and here are a few pics of the peonies from out Tuesday outing to the Experimental Farm. So much beauty!



No comments:

Post a Comment