Saturday, June 6, 2015

Prose and Panels

I'm a slow-moving bunny this morning, but I have been to the Parkdale Market to drop off some books for Prose in the Park. This is the first outdoor book festival in Ottawa for some time (if the first ever) and is being held in the park next to the Parkdale Market and the place is already abuzz with authors setting up their books on tables under tents - two stages at either end of the park for panels with the day getting underway at 11:00 and running until 6:00 this evening. I'm on the crime-writing panel at 3:30 under the title "Criminal Intent". The day is entirely free so come by and check it out. Chairs are already set up in front of the stages so you can relax and take in the panels. The Market is also next door to pick up some fresh produce for supper or flowers to plant in your garden. I'll be heading back around 1:30 if you want to come chat or pick up a signed copy of any of my books :-)

I've been plugging away daily at the latest manuscript, meeting my daily and monthly targets, which is a good thing since the final proofs for Tumbled Graves arrived yesterday and I have just over a week to go through them. It's very cool to see the text all laid out in book format and to know that soon reviewers and bloggers will be reading the advance reading copies. Cool and nerve-wracking at the same time. On this go around, I'll be looking for typos and incorrect sentences, that sort of thing. My editor said that she was happy with all of my final edits in the last version and had no changes to my changes. And on we go...

Next Saturday, I'll be at Indigo Barrhaven from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., signing books so come by and keep me company if you are in the area. This will be my final book event until mid-August.

I'd like to acknowledge the hard work by Capital Crime Writers president Michael Murphy - a retired librarian at the central Ottawa branch, Michael has worked hard behind the scenes to keep CCW going over the past few years and he is on the planning committee for today's Prose in the Park event. He's travelled to Perth to sell our books and is manning the booth today - all volunteer work and he doesn't even write! I was at a signing at Perfect Books last year and he came by to support me and even bought me a copy of The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters because he thought I would enjoy it. (It is excellent by the way).

Well, this bunny better get at something productive before it's time for me to head back to the Market. I hope to see you either this weekend or next.

No comments:

Post a Comment