Saturday, March 21, 2015

Another Snow Day

Happy spring, everyone although another snowy morning in Ottawa. Got the gas fireplace going in my office, taking off the chill. (Next year, am definitely booking a ticket sourth.)

I had a busy week publicity-wise with an open chat from 3:00 to 10:00 p.m. (Eastern) on Bitten by Books, a  review and author event site run by Rachel Smith. She has a large reader following and does a great deal of work behind the scenes. Check out her site and perhaps sign up for her newsletter if you want to know about other author chats - all of them have prizes if you take part and you can get up close and personal with authors from across genres.

CBC Radio Thunder Bay's Lisa Laco interviewed me Wednesday morning on Superior Morning about the Stonechild and Rouleau series. I grew up in Terrace Bay and went to Lakehead University - most of my books have a northwestern Ontario connection, which we discuss in the interview. I've attached the link above if you would like to give a listen.

I'm  a big fan of radio and think it would have been great to be a disc jockey. Maybe in my next life. I listen to the radio as I write, usually CBC Ottawa. Elizbeth Hay's Late Nights on Air is a novel about a radio station in the far North and it's a great read.

I had a small rectangular blue radio when I was in high school in Terrace Bay. It didn't pick up much during the day, but at night, I'd lie in bed and listen to WLS Chicago. Back then, Motown was in its hey day, Michael Jackson was with the Jackson Five, the band Chicago's song 25 or 6 to 4 was a hit...Steppenwolf, Tommy James, Doobie Brothers...there was no end to the talent. What a terrific period for innovative music and so magical to listen to the songs in bed late at night in the darkness of my room.

I've got a few events coming up in April - on the 22nd an evening in Carp at an event being organized by a Grade ten student, and on the 23rd, an Arthur Ellis shortlist event at Rideau Chapters. I'll be on a road trip with Mary Jane Maffini, Linda Wiken and Vicki Delany from April 29 to May 4 as we head to Bethusda Maryland for Malice Domestic, an author/reader conference.  I'll give the details as the events approach

But for today, back working on the manuscript and hopefully the tax return and staying out of the snow. Will this city never warm up?!

These were peonies in my garden last spring to give us hope in frigid Eastern Ontario.



No comments:

Post a Comment