Saturday, June 14, 2014

Conferences, Readings and Signings . . .

I've had a bit of trouble settling down to write since Bloody Words but plan to rectify my lapse this weekend. Book conferences take more energy than you would imagine - three cocktail parties, two banquets, lunch with a publisher, dinner and breakfast with fellow authors, late night drinks in the bar . . . it's a wonder I fit in the front seat of my car to drive home . . . and that was just the eating and drinking part. I was in the 'catwalk' procession on Friday night where we showed off posters of our latest book cover and a nine o'clock panel on Saturday morning. I shmoozed with authors, readers, librarians, editors, and publicists and had an overall fun, sleep-deprived time. (and all tax deductable)

 With Dundurn publicist Karen McMullin
 With Dundurn senior editor Sharon Weibe
(l to r) Caro Soles, Mary Jane Maffini, me, Lou Allin and Kate Jaimet
 
Since I've been home, I've managed to get a bit done on my latest manuscript and will spend most of today and tomorrow writing. I'll be returning to Perfect Books on Elgin (and Somerset) for a lunch hour signing this Thursday, June 19 if anyone working downtown or looking for a signed copy of Cold Mourning wants to drop by. I should be there from about noon to one. The Glebe Report gave Cold Mourning a good comprehensive review, which you can find if you scroll down to the sixth review.

I've been asked recently what books I am reading or would recommend. I took a photo of my current reading pile although it could take me a while to get to these. They are the result of conferences and author readings that I've attended this year so far.
 
 
 
You might notice three mysteries by Scandinavian authors - I attended a reading at the Ottawa Public Library on Monday with three Scandinavian authors: (and they are from left to right) Jakob Melander, The House that Jack Built; Dan T. Sehlberg, Mona; and Thomas Enger, Pierced. Each looks to be an interesting read.
 
 
So today, back at the manuscript and I'll be writing up a synopsis and polishing up the first few chapters to submit to the publisher as well. My garden is also calling for some attention, Westfest, our neighbourhood three-day festival is on, and I have some stuff to get together for my daughter Lisa's wedding shower next week. No boredom here.
 
Enjoy your week, everyone. I hope the sun keeps shining where you are.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment