Saturday, November 3, 2012

Prime Crime Bookshelf - A Mystery-Reader Treasure

If you live in Ottawa, you have to stop in at Brittons in the Glebe at Bank and Fifth. Not only will you get to meet Ted the owner, but you'll have a chance to chat with Linda Wiken, former owner of Prime Crime bookstore, and now, manager of a mystery book section in Brittons. She's there on Saturdays , amongst other days, and  if you time it right, you can meet a local crime author most Saturday afternoons. Linda also has a Berkley cosy series on the go under the pseudonym Erika Chase - I've read her first A Killer Read and am looking forward to the second in the series due out soon.


LindaWiken  with Brittons owner Ted
 
I spent a few hours in this great shop last Saturday and met people from the neighbourhood and a few friends who dropped by, including my travel mate Mary Jane Maffini, another fine cosy mystery writer whose trademark is a killer sense of humour. Even her two dachshunds came to look over the book selection, dressed in their Hallowe'en costumes. They kept barking, "Trick or dog treat".
 
 
Life has been much too busy lately with not much chance of slowing down in the foreseeable future. I snatch hours of writing between work, curling, social events and sleep. Today is one of those rare gems when I have a whole day to write . . . well, with time outs for grocery-shopping, laundry etc. etc.
 
And a few events on the horizon:  Next Saturday, November 10, I'll be at another great bookshop, Books on Beechwood from one to three, signing copies of Second Chances. Come by and chat if you get the chance.
 
Books on Beechwood is also hosting a mystery-author evening before Christmas and I'll post more about that next week. I'll be part of a Granite Curling Club fund raiser on January 16 (yes, that's in 2013) alongside Mary Jane Maffini, C.B. Forrest and moderator, City Counsellor Katherine Hobbs. (How fun will that be?!) I also heard from the Ottawa Public Library that I'll be teaching a short story workshop to kids as part of the Awesome Authors contest in early January. So happy times ahead.
 
Some lovely reviews showing up on Amazon and other book sites for Second Chances. The feedback I've been getting from adult readers is that the book really does take them back to 1971 - odd to see it listed in the history section by some of the booksellers! Thank you so much to everyone who takes the time to let others know about my books. You keep me motivated and busy at my keyboard working on that next manuscript.


No comments:

Post a Comment