Sunday, October 3, 2010

Photographs and Memories

What a gorgeous day we having going out there this first weekend of October. Ted and I sat on his new front deck this morning drinking coffee and watching the pine needles fall. I have tulip bulbs that need planting and a few plants that need to be moved around in the garden. We got in a cord of firewood as we start to batten down the house for the cold days ahead.

I spent a great part of the week rewriting the Viet Nam manuscript. What fun listening to music from the 70s on Utube. That was such a creative, passionate era in music. it was a great time to be in high school - hippies, long hair, bare feet, hitchhiking, rock n' roll, protest rallys, smock tops, clogs . . . . a free, exciting period, all in all.

The other day, I was remembering my first waitressing job at a pizza joint in Thunder Bay in the late 70s. It was the summer of my first year in university and I'd spent two days tree planting next to a busload of convicts and their armed guard. It seemed like a good time to make a career change. I got an interview for the waitressing job, which amounted to me trying on the red hotpants uniform. The manager and owner (yes, both men) had a look at my legs and said I would do. I'm almost certain I could file a complaint somewhere if this happened today. I lasted the summer, working the night shift and avoiding propositions from customers - made me realize why I was still in school.

As of this week, no In Winter's Grip on the shelves yet. It seems to have been delayed slightly, but I hear it should be out very soon. I'll post on my site when it is released. I'm looking forward to holding a copy. The Orca book, slated for spring 2011, now has a title - The Second Wife. Editing starts on this one soon.

So do you know who wrote the song title up above? "Photographs and Memories"? Think way back . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment